HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Return to Hikki StationReturn to Hikki Station  

Need Help Writing Lyrics

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Donovon-Bozu
Fan
Fan
Donovon-Bozu

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Need Help Writing Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 3:01 pm

Anyone got tips for an aspiring song-writer??? XD
I want to see if I can make a theme song, but I have no idea how to start! This is what makes Hikki and Ayu so amazing! How the heck do they write amazing lyrics like that for pretty much all of their songs!? Pretty please? I'll be your best friend! bounce XD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amai Wana
Fan
Fan

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 5:33 pm

Umm, is there a specific theme that you have in mind for writing these lyrics
With me, sometimes I just listen to music and write the first thing that comes to mind making it just be natural and then polishing up at the end.

So any lyrical subject?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://amaiwana.wordpress.com/
Donovon-Bozu
Fan
Fan
Donovon-Bozu

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 5:43 pm

I want a happy theme (not sugary bubblegum happy "Barbie Girl XD" energy) but an upbeat theme...ummm...can't think of anything else...so...I'll post what I've written soon...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amai Wana
Fan
Fan

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 7:22 pm

Donovon-Bozu wrote:
I want a happy theme (not sugary bubblegum happy "Barbie Girl XD" energy) but an upbeat theme...ummm...can't think of anything else...so...I'll post what I've written soon...

okkk, when you post something, we can all give some ideas and what we think about it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Prisoner of Hikki
Fan
Fan
Prisoner of Hikki

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2008-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 11:31 pm

I think the easiest way to write songs is to come up with titles first. Make up your own album track listing (or music chart XD), then take a song you want to start writing. The title becomes your focus point, and will influence how you write the song.

Afterwards choose the atmosphere of the song... Funny and strange, cheerful, mysterious etc. Try listening to music of that type and see how their lyrics are written, then try to write in a similar style... If you really have ideas you want to express in the song lyrics will come naturally... Also the point of view of the songs is sorta important...

You can also take a ghost song (i think that's what it's called XD) which is when you rewrite the lyrics to one song. Eventually, you'll want to change certain parts and lines and then the song will become an individual instead of a copy...

I'm still new to songwriting so I don't think these comments will help much Razz But don't worry about having an excellent song in a second. Like writers, songwriters often revise their work many times before they have their masterpiece. Just take your time and let the song develop overtime. I'm sure you can write something better than "Barbie Girl" that's for sure XD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amai Wana
Fan
Fan

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 11:33 pm

I think that's wonderful advice Prisoner of Hikki and that's what I do when I write lyrics!!!
I think there should be like a lyric / poem / whatever you write kinda thread or something so that we can all share our works...

Or maybe that fits better in creations?
Back to top Go down
blue42
Fan
Fan
blue42

Number of posts : 60

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 7:38 pm

Well, if you want to write a happy song, just let the stuff flow~~
Listen ot the world around you. People, nature, anything.
Lines in random conversation usually hold the most meaning -ironically- and most things were/are discovered by accident, so don't force yourself. If you do, it won't seem at all honest.
Anyone can have a song that goes "Be happy!", but you want to add more meaning to that, right? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Piasu Maikeru
Fan
Fan
Piasu Maikeru

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 7:37 am

Prisoner of Hikki, that's what I've read, too. What I think would also be a good suggestion is to just have fun.

What I mean by that is to just "free-play it." Just randomly pick up an instrument and play random stuff that comes up in your head to get your creative juices flowing. You will most likely come up with a random, silly song, and you can then edit it from there. Make it more serious, or keep it silly is all up to you. Once you have your song, add lyrics.

Now for the lyric writing portion of songwriting, I'd have to say go with something that interests you. Don't make a random song that you have no experience in. Say, you are writing a song about love, yet, you are a loser and don't have a boyfriend or girlfriend (or never had one before). That wouldn't be in your expertise to write a song about love because you know nothing about it.

Also, don't make a song about winning the lottery and being rich and it's a slow song - that just wouldn't make sense! Try to make the lyrics match the music... if it's slow, go with something emotional or depressing, and if it's fast, go with something happy or cheerful.

I haven't personally wrote a song before, as I can't play the guitar since it hurts my fingers (>_<) and I don't have a keyboard I can play, so naturally, I can't make a song.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DaAmainator
Fan
Fan
DaAmainator

Number of posts : 312

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 1:54 pm

If it helps (I can't write songs/poems for my life), Utada has been struggling at lyrics for years. Just give it time and write something meaningful to YOU. Don't write a song just to show us (although I'd LOOOOVE to hear it). Write the song for you. What would YOU most like to have a song be about?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donovon-Bozu
Fan
Fan
Donovon-Bozu

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 2:39 pm

This is HARD!

^That's just the point! I'm only thirteen! I don't have any life experiences or meaningful-ness! I'm going out of mind!

I'll post something in three days. Give me three days...

EDIT: Scratch that, five minutes. This is what I have so far, AND IT SUCKS:

Spoiler:

I was inspired by the death of a close friend, the cover of my sketchbook, which shows that famous Japanese painting, The Great Wave off Kanagawa, and...the Deep River PV. Looks like this won't be a happy song. . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Piasu Maikeru
Fan
Fan
Piasu Maikeru

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 6:12 pm

I think it doesn't suck; it's actually really good lyrics. Just put it to music.

If it helps, I'd recommend keeping the lyrics at "the storm," and making it a message-behind-the-lyrics type of song. Maybe have the rain come down harder, perhaps lightning crashes, you get the idea. However, you can't keep the entire song at the storm, you have to put in little tiny references to get the listener to say, "Hey, this song is about death!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amai Wana
Fan
Fan

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 7:20 pm

I agree, I think they're really good lyrics!!!
Yeah, I think that keeping the same references in mind should help you finish it off as being cohesive.
Personally I like lyrics / songs that can make you feel like the singer / writer is taking you into the world of the story. I think it'll help if you can make yourself really go into the world of your story Smile
Back to top Go down
Donovon-Bozu
Fan
Fan
Donovon-Bozu

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 7:49 pm

Wow...thank you...

The whole reason I'm writing a song is because I need a theme song for my game. Since I'm getting FL Studio soon...you get the idea (FL Studio is one of THE music-sequencing programs out there)...Then, I'll be scouting for a singer all over the web...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amai Wana
Fan
Fan

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 7:55 pm

Donovon-Bozu wrote:
Wow...thank you...

The whole reason I'm writing a song is because I need a theme song for my game. Since I'm getting FL Studio soon...you get the idea (FL Studio is one of THE music-sequencing programs out there)...Then, I'll be scouting for a singer all over the web...

well definitely keep at it!!!
And I wish you all the luck in the world Smile
I hope you will post the final version of these!!
Maybe you'll have the next hit like Hikki and Kingdom Hearts Razz
Back to top Go down
Prisoner of Hikki
Fan
Fan
Prisoner of Hikki

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 11:48 pm

I think the lyrics are really good (I'm surprised you could write so well in five minutes XD)

I think you're looking for inspiration in the right direction. It can be hard to write when you are still only in your teenage years, but I think you've gotten around that barrier. (I still haven't D: )

Other than that, follow Piasu Maikeru's great advice. "The storm" is a really good direction to go in, and will be even better when it refers to death.

FL studio is a great program if you truly want to compose something unique. (Although I've just focused on using it to type in text and have a robotic voice say them XD) It's not like having an orchestra in your computer, but you can compose really unique songs.

EDIT:

I went to check out the songs on your Youtube page. I think they're pretty soothing, and I'm interested on what the rest of the album sounds like. Composing for soundtracks isn't easy though. You need many different songs for different conditions... but I think you've already gotten the idea of how to write them Very Happy

Good luck on your work!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donovon-Bozu
Fan
Fan
Donovon-Bozu

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 8:33 am

Well, for higher quality songs, I'm thinking of switching over to FL Studio permanently. So I'll probably be redoing those songs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rather Hazy
Fan
Fan
Rather Hazy

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 8:48 am

For a "first go" kind of thing, I thought those lyrics were really good, they were well written and weren't... shit. I don't know of a better word for it. They weren't aimless mush. I know it's hard to believe from my post but if there's one thing I'm good at it's the English language and the best way to become an expert is to just keep doing what you're doing. The more you'll write the better you'll become and ideas will flow in much easier.

I thought your music was good too, I'll be interested to see how it progresses. Now it really makes me want to install Fruity Loops on the new computer and start working on some of my songs again. bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donovon-Bozu
Fan
Fan
Donovon-Bozu

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 9:14 am

Well, the music for my game (on my youtube page) was in midi format, so it was pretty easy to put together in something like Anvil Studio. And this whole music thing is pretty much for fun (I'm 13, ya know?). And I hope you guys didn't think I would be the one singing...? I suck at it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Prisoner of Hikki
Fan
Fan
Prisoner of Hikki

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 10:26 am

Donovon-Bozu wrote:
And I hope you guys didn't think I would be the one singing...? I suck at it!

Ah... So that's why the "Who Can Sing" thread was created ;D I believe other Hikki fans that cover songs would probably be willing to help. Probably some on Youtube will join in here...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donovon-Bozu
Fan
Fan
Donovon-Bozu

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 9:50 pm

If any of you guys are interested, I finished writing the song. But I changed the song a bit. Please remember I was listening to a lot of ballads (particularly Ayumi) at the time.

C L O S U R E
Written by: Donovon - Bozu (xD)

Opening Message
Shattered...

Verse One
Even when I see you in my head
I realize that you're not there
The rain is falling down, crashing with the waves
That was when you left 'our' place
That was when my heart disappeared

Verse Two
You left me here
You left this little place
Took off, rode the crashing waves
The rain is falling harder

Chorus One
As I stand at that shore
The storm raging inside my mind
With this broken piece of sorrow
I silently move on
And realize that life will never be the same

Verse Three

I sit here and wonder about what the past was like
Wonder about me and you
That fateful day, the rushed excitement
I closed off my emotions

Bridge
I hate you so much I can barely take it
Why can't you just leave me alone
I don't need you
You should know that
Why do you continue to haunt
My mind my soul my heart
I know I can move on and now I must
Close off my emotions

Pre-Chorus Message
And now I say good-bye

Chorus One
As I stand at that shore
The storm raging inside my mind
With this broken piece of sorrow
I silently move on
And realize that life will never be the same

Verse Four
As I'm walking, no running
Far away from that place
I close my eyes and tell myself it will all be over
But nothing ever really changes, does it?
We can only mask our sorrow

Chorus Two
As I stand at this place
The thunder booming louder and louder
With my broken piece of love
I move on, screaming until it's over
And realize that life will be the same

Closing Message
It's as if you were never...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Prisoner of Hikki
Fan
Fan
Prisoner of Hikki

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 7:23 am

Amazing lyrics! I kinda like the third verse the most...
I'd really want to hear this song... sung out? Don't know how to put it, but I hope you get the meaning Sweating

By the way, what do you think the instrumentation would be like? Violins, Pianos, Synthesizers? Too bad FL Studio isn't really an "orchestra in your computer" otherwise the instrumental version of the song could be made... If anyone does know of such a program, I'm getting it no matter what the price is...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donovon-Bozu
Fan
Fan
Donovon-Bozu

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 2:35 pm

Well...if you have a Mac, Finale is pretty good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Writing Lyrics   Need Help Writing Lyrics I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need Help Writing Lyrics
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hikki Station Forums :: General :: General Discussion-
Jump to: