HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Return to Hikki StationReturn to Hikki Station  

How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Donovon-Bozu
Fan
Fan
Donovon-Bozu

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2008-05-28

How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? Empty
PostSubject: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 5:59 pm

Yesterday, a friend came to my house to pick up something I still had of his. And when I walked in my room, he was browsing my CDs. He asked if he could listen to my Heart Station/Stay Gold single CD. I said he wouldn't like it, and he said okay. Then I went to the bathroom to wash my hands and I heard him say bye! He tricked me! I want my CD back! And he, who had previously ridiculed me for liking Japanese music, actually called and said he liked Stay Gold...! (Yay! I actually helped Utada's promotion in the U.S.!)

Everyone else I know still hates my taste in music. How do you fare?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sanosuke
Top Admin
Top Admin
Sanosuke

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 6:07 pm

It's not a big deal for me when it comes to family. As for friends, they usually don't mind. Recently, I was surprised that my friend had all of her albums on their iPod excluding HEART STATION. I recommended it to him. Haha.

Nintendofanboy
Fan
Fan
Nintendofanboy

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2008-05-24

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 7:08 pm

My family doesn't really care for it lol

My friends don't like it (Their into rock and roll and stuff) while some of my friends do acutally like Utada Hikaru, but they say I'm to obsessed Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/Mario1242
Hikkifan34
Fan
Fan
Hikkifan34

Number of posts : 58

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 8:11 pm

Ive converted my mom to the cult that is Hikki evil laugh* cough*
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.crystal-utada.net
Prisoner of Hikki
Fan
Fan
Prisoner of Hikki

Number of posts : 141

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 10:17 pm

I'm the only hardcore Hikki fan in my family. My mom likes several of her ballads though, and I got her interested in Japanese music XD My brothers used to like her a lot, but then they didn't like her as much... Only recently they've been more interested again (probably because I play HEART STATION out loud) My dad hates my taste though... He mocked the lyrics of FINAL DISTANCE and doesn't listen to a singer unless they're dead. Also when he heard Passion he shouted "What the heck is this crap? It's all backwards!" My mom responded by saying "No, it's Japanese." As for my friends, only one other is a fan (I heard Flavor of Life on her iPod). The rest aren't even interested in music XD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donovon-Bozu
Fan
Fan
Donovon-Bozu

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 10:23 pm

Really? You wouldn't think so in Taiwan...

By the way, have been to Taipei?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theara
Fan
Fan
theara

Number of posts : 72

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 10:28 pm

I feel so shy telling people I am a huge fan of her. I keep my iPod away from my friends because it has only hikki's music.

Surprisingly, each of my friend have a song the love from hikki. First Love is a favorite for most of my friends. I'm trying to expose them to Heart Station
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://digg.com/
Prisoner of Hikki
Fan
Fan
Prisoner of Hikki

Number of posts : 141

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 10:36 pm

Donovon-Bozu wrote:
Really? You wouldn't think so in Taiwan...

By the way, have been to Taipei?

Well I'm sure there are loads of Hikki fans in Taiwan. I just haven't hunted them down into my friends list Twisted Evil

ULTRA BLUE was heavily promoted, and many people are familiar with some of her songs. Oh, and Can You Keep a Secret is nearly heard all the time on the radio XD

Yes, I've been to Taipei several times. But I live on the other side of the island, so I can't really go there frequently...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kayoko
Fan
Fan
kayoko

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 10:51 pm

all my friends are ayumi hamasaki supporters so we have many arguments...lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rather Hazy
Fan
Fan
Rather Hazy

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 11:57 pm

My dad doesn't seem to mind, I've watched a few DVDs downstairs while he was home and he says he thinks Hikaru's really nice and talented. My best friend is a big J music fan herself so that's that, and with a few other friends, even if they don't like most of it I've still managed to find one or two songs they like. Another good friend of mine basically makes fun of every kind of music I'm into (all in good fun) but he absolutely loved Traveling and Passion, really different to what he'd usually listen to too.

I think it's just that so few people are used to listening to music in other languages that they don't know what to think or expect at first. Japanese music has an image of all of it either being like Morning Musume, annoyingly high pitched artificially childish lolita jailbait eurobeat crap, or Visual Kei freaks who scream and make plain unlistenable music. When you show them that Japanese music's mostly perfectly normal and actually sometimes GOOD they can become surprisingly receptive to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amaterasu
Fan
Fan
Amaterasu

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-06-11

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 1:59 pm

My parents do not listen to music, so although they wonder as to why I listen to Japanese stuff, they don't really get on my case about it - besides the fact that they point out that I obviously don't understand the lyrics.

My own sister appreciates Hikki, although she wouldn't turn her stuff on to listen to.

My friends around me - two of them into anime culture have been 'turned' onto liking Hikki! However, I do not know the extend of it. The others are more like 'wtfh is this?' and they won't like it because they can't understand it. I have an aquaintance who believes that 'all Asians like techno'.

I sure as hell do not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DaAmainator
Fan
Fan
DaAmainator

Number of posts : 312

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 12:26 pm

My parents do not support it. I don't want to put "at all", but they really think it's rather strange that a girl who has no Asian background whatsoever has found such and odd liking in "this Utada person" as they call it.

See, my grandfather was a WWII veteran and was deployed to Japan. Naturally, things got a bit testy. He didn't die, but he got hurt a lot. To this day, my family has refused to buy or support Japanese products.

Needless to say, my family is iffy and always laugh and ask me "are you listening to that Japanese crap?". Of course, I say "Yeah..."

I've been trying to expose my mom to it, and she says her voice is "nice" but I can tell she thinks it's very strange.

My family and a LOT of my friends don't like to listen to music in another language either. I thought music shouldn't be bound by language, but everyone else seems to have this pet peeve for it. They think it's weird. When they look at my genres on my iPod (my friends love to steal my iPod) they ask me "What's J-Pop?" and I say "It's Japanese pop" they sort of look away and say "Oh..."

That's why I think I've come here. None of my friends or family really understands my liking for her except you guys. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yurilovesutada
yurilovesutada

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 2:24 pm

DaAmainator wrote:
My parents do not support it. I don't want to put "at all", but they really think it's rather strange that a girl who has no Asian background whatsoever has found such and odd liking in "this Utada person" as they call it.

See, my grandfather was a WWII veteran and was deployed to Japan. Naturally, things got a bit testy. He didn't die, but he got hurt a lot. To this day, my family has refused to buy or support Japanese products.

Needless to say, my family is iffy and always laugh and ask me "are you listening to that Japanese crap?". Of course, I say "Yeah..."

I've been trying to expose my mom to it, and she says her voice is "nice" but I can tell she thinks it's very strange.

My family and a LOT of my friends don't like to listen to music in another language either. I thought music shouldn't be bound by language, but everyone else seems to have this pet peeve for it. They think it's weird. When they look at my genres on my iPod (my friends love to steal my iPod) they ask me "What's J-Pop?" and I say "It's Japanese pop" they sort of look away and say "Oh..."

That's why I think I've come here. None of my friends or family really understands my liking for her except you guys. Embarassed

Mine is kinda similar to this my dad is the same way he's really big on politics and war and has this huge american pride too.
He also calls it "Japanese Crap" and makes fun of the music and japanese/chinese people. He always pushes my buttons to try to get me mad and most of the time it works Mad He also says stuff like "well its a good thing we nuked them" he can't get over the pearl harbor thing.
But anyway...enough of that whenever i put Utada Hikaru on he gets mad but my mom on the other hand i actually got her to like her Twisted Evil So my mom usually defends her from my dad Razz

I got my little 6 year old sister to LOVE her. She's always singing to Prisoner of Love and Kremlin Dusk and anyother song i put on she tries singing to it. Laughing I also got her into japanese culture and currently teaching her japanese. She's gonna follow my footsteps and my dad cant do anything about it Twisted Evil

Other than my family my friends dont really care for her but Kingdom Hearts and Utada are the reason why me and my best friend are best friends shes just as obsessed as i am! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DaAmainator
Fan
Fan
DaAmainator

Number of posts : 312

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 3:14 pm

yurilovesutada wrote:

I got my little 6 year old sister to LOVE her. She's always singing to Prisoner of Love and Kremlin Dusk and anyother song i put on she tries singing to it. Laughing I also got her into japanese culture and currently teaching her japanese. She's gonna follow my footsteps and my dad cant do anything about it Twisted Evil

Ohh.. brainwashing geek

I like Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donovon-Bozu
Fan
Fan
Donovon-Bozu

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 7:26 pm

I force my mom to listen to my iPod in the car (iPod car dock), and I forced her through many Hikki songs, but I can still tell she doesn't like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yurilovesutada
yurilovesutada

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 8:57 pm

Donovon-Bozu wrote:
I force my mom to listen to my iPod in the car (iPod car dock), and I forced her through many Hikki songs, but I can still tell she doesn't like it.

Yeah! Thats what i did! Very Happy
She got so used to listening to it in the car and in my room blasting all the time that she grew to like her music!
Her favorite song is Niji-iro Basu! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anime1223
anime1223

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 9:44 pm

My family thinks I'm psycho!!! All of my songs are in random languages, Japaneses, Russian, English Urdu etc etc. Some of my friends like it but no one really loves her *sniffle*

Utada for life!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SwallowTail
Fan
Fan
SwallowTail

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-06-13

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 1:09 am

Hmm well my Mother don't know anything about Japanese music my Big sister actually the first one that influence me bout Japanese music almost everyday she play Japanase music but since Utada Hikaru Automatic PV played on TV just fall in love with the music, I'm on High School back there, I'm 7 month older than Hikki , and my little brother the second one that influence me bout J-Rock anything like L`arc~n~ciel, Luna Sea , B`Z well everything bout J-Rocks including those Visual Kei. Band that I like Luna Sea even tough they already separated.
His Friend's (my little brother friends) totally in love with Morning musume when he came to out house he play DVD Morning Musume Concert , his friends alway say "arigato pinku" well I just dont get it bout Morning musume maybe different music style.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nintendofanboy
Fan
Fan
Nintendofanboy

Number of posts : 153

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 11:20 am

I was blasting my Utada CD's in the car when we were gonna go pick up my sister in another state and the trip took like, 14 hours and lets just say, my dad was getting kind of sick of hearing Japanese Music for 14 hours straight Razz I wasn't, I love to hear the strong Bass in her songs xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/Mario1242
DSL5
Fan
Fan
DSL5

Number of posts : 87

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2008 10:42 am

my prents are kinda weirded out by it. They don't hate it, just a little surprised that I'm listening to music that I don't understand the words to and liking it just as much as English. As for my friends, the only one who really likes Hikki is Japanese, and the rest only really like Passion/Sanctuary or Hikari/Simple and Clean because of Kingdom Hearts. They have yet to discover her other music.

Those poor souls....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Macdan
Macdan

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-08-03

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 10:12 am

My father wasn't really concerned about what i listen to... but my mother commented that Hikki wasn't so good... but rather than to start an arguement, i just kept quiet while watching her PVs... My mother then often make comments about Hikki trying to piss me off.. but i just ignored... as for my friends, one was actually into jpop, so i shared my Hikki collection with him, he actually likes Ayumi... the rest of my friend who doesn't like japanese songs just kept their comments of Hikki to themselves infront of me...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
davidteoh
davidteoh

Number of posts : 27

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 8:13 am

Haha..Nice topic there..

MIne is simple..

Family Hates Twisted Evil

friends Love Razz

well..i cant believe that Utada Hikaru songs are play everyday from 8.00 to 09.30 in my country..one of the radio station which is extremely RARE..
Razz

Last edited by davidteoh on Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistakes)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SwallowTail
Fan
Fan
SwallowTail

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-06-13

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 1:28 am

davidteoh wrote:
Haha..Nice topic there..

MIne is simple..

friends Love Razz

well..i cant believe that Utada Hikaru songs are play everyday from 8.00 to 09.30 in my country..one of the radio station which is extremely RARE..
Razz

What they played hikki music, wow thats great I never heard Hikki music played in my country DARN IT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Macdan
Macdan

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-08-03

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 8:40 am

davidteoh wrote:
Haha..Nice topic there..

MIne is simple..

friends Love Razz

Razz

davidteoh, which station was it? what's the freq? maybe I could tune into that station from Singapore
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tsuki
Tsuki

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 6:33 pm

My family and friends are pretty cool with my obsession with Hikki, actually.

I learned Hikari on piano and I've played it over and over again and I caught one of my sisters humming the melody once.

My parents are good with it too. My mom was kind of puzzled as to why I liked to listen to music I didn't understand the lyrics to, but she has no issues with my taste of music and neither does my dad.

My friends KNOW I'm obsessed with her, but whenever I try to get them to listen to her stuff they're always, 'Yeah...I have to go now' or if they DID listen, it's mostly 'It's not really my type.' I do have a few friends who like her, but no one I can go obsessing with. Oh well ~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?   How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do your friends and family react to your (Japanese) taste in music?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next