Hikki Station Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Return to Hikki StationReturn to Hikki Station  

The true story of the Song"Final Distance"

Go down 
+13
SwallowTail
Skudder
AyUta
kindblue
AnimeLunatic
Taiyou
Nintendofanboy
pauloferreira
Sky of MidWinter
raul27
Prisoner of Hikki
Hikkifan34
davidteoh
17 posters
AuthorMessage
davidteoh
davidteoh

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-05-24

The true story of the Song"Final Distance" Empty
PostSubject: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 11:27 pm

well..i heard this from my friends..i wont 100% guarantee that this is the real story..but i kinda like the story Laughing

This song is basically about, and dedicated to a girl, who i think was named Rena. She had written an essay for a contest, and won, about how she wanted to become a singer like Utada. Then she was stabbed to death in her school. Utada knew about this news and she changed the song's title to final distance because the old title of dis song is only DISTANCE....So actually utada uses Rena essay to make it into a song..

well from this point,i can see that utada really care about her fans ^.^ I love you

This prooove that Utada cares her fans more than the money she making from her fans..Do u agree? Smile

The true story of the Song"Final Distance" 11218c10
Back to top Go down
Hikkifan34
Fan
Fan
Hikkifan34

Number of posts : 58

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 11:39 pm

I agree however I do wished ahwd answer her fan mail more ^^
Back to top Go down
http://www.crystal-utada.net
Prisoner of Hikki
Fan
Fan
Prisoner of Hikki

Number of posts : 141

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 11:56 pm

She definitely cares about her fans instead of making money. Otherwise, she wouldn't have cut her hair, shortened TAKE 5, and added Boku Wa Kuma to HEART STATION. She does everything by her heart, and not for money I love you. There are just many reasons to show that Utada is one of the very few artists that loves creating music. It's too bad not many singers like her exists Sad
Back to top Go down
raul27
Fan
Fan

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 4:31 am

yeah, i've read about that before Smile

Utada really cares Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/raulxhikki
Sky of MidWinter

Number of posts : 5

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 7:26 am

I have heard that the girl was bad and she was hit be some gang. After she die, people found her diary and she wrote " she wanted to become a singer like Utada "
I don't know if my story is true or not
Back to top Go down
pauloferreira
pauloferreira

Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 10:22 am

I can put links in posts??

Well, let me try:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9406EFDE153EF933A25755C0A9679C8B63

This link is from The New York Times. It shows the notice from the attack in a school, and shows this girl, Rena. Yea, that happened and the story 'bout "she wanted to be like Utada" is true.

That's why I luv Utada! hhehehe

After seein' the notice, I listened to Final Distance and I understand it a little bit... Utada knows how to make sad songs....
Back to top Go down
http://www.pauloferreira.uaivip.com.br
Nintendofanboy
Fan
Fan
Nintendofanboy

Number of posts : 153

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 10:16 pm

Most of been really hard for Utada to sing "Final Distance" and shoot the PV since the song is really powerful and the back story behind it is also powerful.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Mario1242
Taiyou
Taiyou

Number of posts : 26

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 10:33 pm

Yea, it was dedicated to the girl who was killed at school in Ikeda, Osaka by a former janitor back in 2001. Majority of the victims were girls and they were young children, between the ages seven and eight. Rena won an essay competition, writing on how she wanted to be a singer just like Hikki. And once she heard about the girl's death, she rearranged the song completely in dedication.

The song itself is sad. But when you know the history behind it, it makes it even more powerful.
Back to top Go down
AnimeLunatic
Fan
Fan
AnimeLunatic

Number of posts : 104

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 10:58 pm

Ahhh...I remember when I first read this. Made my heart pummel to the ground cause Final Distance was one of the songs that got me into Hikki. Though, before, I had no idea what the song meant, nor about this incident. It truly is great of Hikki to dedicate the song to her. In fact, I actually did a little class presentation using the song and explaining to my class the meaning behind its creation. *sigh* Truly sad...
Back to top Go down
kindblue
kindblue

Number of posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2008 7:45 am

I know I read about this before and also this:
"The Japanese Ministry of Education decided to incorporate Hikaru Utada's ballad "Final Distance" in the high school music textbook starting spring semester 2001, which was announced on 8th of April. In order to pass the proposal, they needed 313 points. The proposal was passed with 319 points. They will be targeting high school students in their second year to test the new curriculum. According to the publisher of arts in education, the song was chosen because it is closely familiar with high school students."
-wikipedia.com
Back to top Go down
AyUta
AyUta

Number of posts : 40

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 12:02 am

Aw, I read this before too. Sad
Poor girl, may she rest in peace. She was a very dedicated fan, and it was sweet. Sweet of Hikki to do that too. I will always love Hikki ;~;
Back to top Go down
Skudder
Skudder

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 12:37 pm

Wow, so cool that the Ministry of education put hikki's song in the curriculum. Amazing.
Back to top Go down
http://ego-boundaries.blogspot.com/
SwallowTail
Fan
Fan
SwallowTail

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-06-13

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 3:44 am

Wow sry I just register this day but when I read this the more I like Hikki sooooooooooooooooooooo much
Back to top Go down
Amaterasu
Fan
Fan
Amaterasu

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-06-11

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 12:16 pm

It's nice to want to believe that Hikki cares, however, I did come across a very caustic comment on a website that said that Hikki does not at all care.

This is why:

It was a simple money-making rehash of a song that was barely changed lyrically. On top of which, there was no mention of Rena or the trajedy in the song, nor on the cover. Instead, the cover of the single had a big zoom-in on Hikki's face. Narcissism? Arrogance?

Whether you would believe this, it makes me wonder, personally.

However, I would give Hikki benefit of the doubt - for reasons stretching beyond mere fanboy. Hikaru is very unlike most celebrities, and the songs that she does have that are sad are very sad. Foremost, I remember her expressions in the Deep River PV. I'm lead to believe that this girl has truly suffered in her own way. Coupled with many of the well of deep-delving lyrics found in a plethora of her songs, I would be inclined to believe that she is a person more capable of empathy than your average vapid star. She also appears to be rather humble and has a sense of dedication to her fans (such as her regularly updated blog).

That said, she too is a person. A person capable of empathy, but also possibly suseptable to the sway of money and personal pride...

Food for thought.
Back to top Go down
Donovon-Bozu
Fan
Fan
Donovon-Bozu

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 12:29 pm

Nice post. It does make you wonder.
Back to top Go down
AyUta
AyUta

Number of posts : 40

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 12:27 am

Amaterasu wrote:
It's nice to want to believe that Hikki cares, however, I did come across a very caustic comment on a website that said that Hikki does not at all care.

This is why:

It was a simple money-making rehash of a song that was barely changed lyrically. On top of which, there was no mention of Rena or the trajedy in the song, nor on the cover. Instead, the cover of the single had a big zoom-in on Hikki's face. Narcissism? Arrogance?

However, I would give Hikki benefit of the doubt - for reasons stretching beyond mere fanboy. Hikaru is very unlike most celebrities, and the songs that she does have that are sad are very sad. Foremost, I remember her expressions in the Deep River PV. I'm lead to believe that this girl has truly suffered in her own way. Coupled with many of the well of deep-delving lyrics found in a plethora of her songs, I would be inclined to believe that she is a person more capable of empathy than your average vapid star. She also appears to be rather humble and has a sense of dedication to her fans (such as her regularly updated blog).

That said, she too is a person. A person capable of empathy, but also possibly suseptable to the sway of money and personal pride...

Food for thought.

I HIGHLY doubt that.
Back to top Go down
Donovon-Bozu
Fan
Fan
Donovon-Bozu

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 8:25 am

Yeah, Hikki seems of better character, but Amaterasu brings up an important point : No matter how much we may know about our favorite singers, actors, etc. they could be completely different in real life. They just don't show it in the spotlight.
Back to top Go down
Rather Hazy
Fan
Fan
Rather Hazy

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 9:05 am

Amaterasu wrote:

This is why:

Food for thought.
This is sort of what I've thought since I heard about the story. At first it sounds like a sweet gesture but it was a strongly promoted single with a high profile commercial tie-in and Utada made tons of money out of it. It's not like she donated any of it either (although in this case I'm not sure there would be any appropriate charity or fund or whatever anyway), I do feel sometimes like she just stuck Rena Namashita's name on it to pull sympathy. It was her lowest selling single up until Dareka too so perhaps some of the Japanese audience thought it was a bit tacky too.
Back to top Go down
Piasu Maikeru
Fan
Fan
Piasu Maikeru

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 11:20 am

I think Hikaru was going to release the Distance single whether or not she made Final Distance, plus, Final Distance is on the same single as Distance is, so how is that getting more money? It's two versions of the same song on the same single, so she didn't make any "extra" money on it.

What was Hikaru to do? She can't go up to the parents and respectively mourn without the media following her everywhere, nor can she announce to the media that she feels sorry alone without looking like an arrogant person, so rewriting one of her songs is the only way she can express sorriness for Rena.
Back to top Go down
Rather Hazy
Fan
Fan
Rather Hazy

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 11:29 am

Well that is a point, Distance was supposed to be a single by itself and it still would have been released. I didn't mean to sound really cold, I'm just a bit cynical about the Japanese music industry in general. I don't really have any reasons not to think Hikaru is a good, genuine person. I just wonder sometimes if/how the business side of things affects her releases.
Back to top Go down
Amaterasu
Fan
Fan
Amaterasu

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-06-11

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 12:15 am

Indeed!

While I may balk at the notion of thinking of Hikaru as a less-than-stellar person, the possibility exists nonetheless.

While the song is known to be 'dedicated' to Rena, a truly charitable thing to do would be to establish a charity of sorts (celebrities do these things often over here!) and donate a portion of the proceeds into this.

I do believe that Final Distance was going to be released regardless of the tragedy. The dedication, I think, would be more of an afterthought than genuine sympathetic creativity. Worse still, perhaps almost unforgiveable to type in a Hikki forum, an attempt to up sales in an underhanded manner.

Quote :
What was Hikaru to do? She can't go up to the parents and respectively mourn without the media following her everywhere, nor can she announce to the media that she feels sorry alone without looking like an arrogant person, so rewriting one of her songs is the only way she can express sorriness for Rena.

The re-writing part is rather questionable - unless I'm presented with a rather factual bit of proof, it's open ended as to whether the tradgedy 'inspired' the song.

I also believe that a celebrity is a human being. The only difference being is that they are (usually) wealthy and high-profile. She could have expressed her grief in a normal (albiet high-profile) fashion. The Prime Minister of Japan (at the time) expressed his concerns and condolances in a speech. Being a Prime Minister or high-profile politician is also celebratory status. If he could do that, then may Hikki can? After all, Hikaru had due cause to at least pay respects to Rena's parents, as it was made public that the girl idolized her. Thus...

Of course, I was not in Japan for the tradgedy. And perhaps Hikaru DID in some way pay her respects, perhaps some charitable donation was made, and her memory honoured by our revered star. I certainly would hope so. I don't have any inside information, or even read or heard of confirmed printed media. This, for me, is left up in the air.

I love Hikaru's music as much as the rest of you. Perhaps more than some of you! (Do you listen to non-Hikki music? Ha! So you do!) However, I'm not about to strap a bomb onto myself for Hikaru Utada. She DID make that song "Devil Inside" and has mentioned that she often surprises her friends by the things she does (bad things, of course). I offer the notion that she is a human being with flaws as well as strengths and I hope that you can appreciate that.

I'd like to give her benefit of the doubt though. Perhaps she was in the USA, perhaps she was tied up for some reason. Perhaps she DID do something that we gai-jin aren't aware of.

Although I think that Hikki likes money (who doesn't?!), I believe that she's a respectable person who hasn't sold her soul for cash just yet. Else, she would be doing endorsements for Pepsi/Coke in Japan, pumping out singles every month, getting plastic surgery done, and dressing in skanked-out clothes. Oh, yeah, she probably wouldn't have cut her hair.

Even still, I dare to contend that "Final Distance"'s creation is not as noble as some fans adamently believe.

(Let's just see how unpopular I've become because of this thread!)
Back to top Go down
SwallowTail
Fan
Fan
SwallowTail

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-06-13

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 3:18 am

Well actually Hikki already released Distance on her second album Distance did you notice track 03 cheerfull style , maybe if the tragedy didn't happen she wont released it again with different style, and btw Hikki were nothing without fan's and her fan's ask her too change Distance into Final Distance and maybe if that girl Ayumi fan's probably Ayu do just the same thing, if I'm her manager well it this the right thing u gain more money and popularity
" Actually being imperfect make humankind human and the one who doesn't use his/her power is a coward by mathiu ".
She just re-released Final Distance just to remember the tragedy and we must take care each other and make this tragedy didn't happen again but it happen again remember the guy that stabbed 25 people in Tokyo and his said it becoz Nin DS Ninja gaiden dragon sword and I play that game too, man what happen to this world and btw amaterasu u don't know bout girl body when she gain weigth part of the body change too just like my sister and plastic surgery in the age of 25 hmmm I don't think bout it well her teeth still the same look at her HEART STATION album pict if she do plastic surgery why don't she make her teeth more nicer and last one u've become very popular with this thread nice thread
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The true story of the Song"Final Distance"   The true story of the Song"Final Distance" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The true story of the Song"Final Distance"
Page 1 of 1