Hikki Station Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Return to Hikki StationReturn to Hikki Station  

How to self-teach yourself Japanese

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Piasu Maikeru
Fan
Fan
Piasu Maikeru

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2008-06-15

How to self-teach yourself Japanese Empty
PostSubject: How to self-teach yourself Japanese   How to self-teach yourself Japanese I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 1:37 am

I thought I'd be helpful today and make this topic. Smile

konnichi wa! hajimete ka? jaa... genki desu. dozo yorushiku.
Hello! How do you do? Well... I'm fine. Please be kind to me.

So you want to learn Japanese? Well, I have a method that I use to self-teach myself Japanese for free.

Requirements
  • internet
  • Notepad / Word
  • patience

Got everything? Great! Let's get started.

First step: Go on JapanesePod101.com
You do not need a subscription for this. Go on http://www.japanesepod101.com/index.php (yes, with the index.php at the end, otherwise you'd have to register.) From here, you can listen to "lessons" online for free. On that page, you see where the types of lessons are? It should have different types, like "Newbie," "Beginner," "Beginner S2," etc. Click on "Newbie" as you are starting out as a noob to Japanese. Next to "Newbie Lessons," make the oldest show first. You should see the first lesson. Congrats, you are now at your first lesson!

Second step: Listen and take notes
To listen to your first listen, click on Audio under "Free Content" located at the bottom of the little "box" the lesson is in. Now, go to http://www.animelab.com/anime.manga/dictionary/ . This is a free dictionary. You will need to use this since you do not have a Basic or Premium account on JapanesePod101, which both cost money. During your lesson, when you hear a Japanese word, they will usually say its translation. Pause the lesson and type in the English translation on the dictionary and find that word. Be sure to follow Japanese vowels: a = ah, e = eh, i = ee, o = oh, and u = oo. Once you have found the right word, copy and paste that word into Notepad / Word along with its translation. Repeat this process until you are done with your lesson.

Third step: Study your notes
This is the worst part about learning Japanese on your own... studying. You MUST study or else it will fall out of your memory. Study the words by memorization and put the words / terms to test. If you are studying Japanese with a partner, go over the words with each other and use it in a sentence. You can also make flash cards, if that helps.

Fourth step: Rinse and repeat
Just repeat this over and over for every lesson on JapanesePod101 and you'll be speaking Japanese before you know it!

I will sometimes post tips and such, so keep an eye on this topic!

Last edited by Piasu Maikeru on Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rather Hazy
Fan
Fan
Rather Hazy

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: How to self-teach yourself Japanese   How to self-teach yourself Japanese I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 1:49 am

When I was about 8 I taught myself hiragana and katakana out of the Mario Paint instruction manual. rabbit Thanks for these sites, I'll take a look when I'm feeling a bit rusty, like now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to self-teach yourself Japanese   How to self-teach yourself Japanese I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 2:35 am

Sounds interesting...I'll should give it a try ^^
Back to top Go down
Piasu Maikeru
Fan
Fan
Piasu Maikeru

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: How to self-teach yourself Japanese   How to self-teach yourself Japanese I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 2:46 am

Pronouncing Japanese words
Japanese words are pretty easy to pronounce once you get the hang of it. Just remember the Japanese vowels: a = ah, e = eh, i = ee, o = oh, and u = oo.

Take a word, like "nyuuyouku". It's easy to pronounce once you know the vowels!

"nyuu" would be "n-yoo", which sounds like "new"

"you" would be "yoh-oo"

and "ku" would be "koo".

Put it together and you get "new-yoh-oo-koo", which, by the way, means "New York."
Back to top Go down
blue42
Fan
Fan
blue42

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-05-24

PostSubject: Re: How to self-teach yourself Japanese   How to self-teach yourself Japanese I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 7:58 pm

Since spanish and japanese pronounciation are the exact same, (minus the "r/l" thing in japanese) pronounciation has never been a problem for me.
It's odd really. English is like one of the few languages that doesn't have the trilled 'r'.

。。。とにかく、日本語を勉強しましょう!
...tonikaku, nihongo wo benkyoushimashou!

EDIT:
STROKE ORDER IS IMPORTANT.
It makes learning Kanji a lot easier if you already have stroke order down with katakana and hiragana. (Although I still find them difficult to write. D:)
Some advice from me, heh.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to self-teach yourself Japanese   How to self-teach yourself Japanese I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to self-teach yourself Japanese
Page 1 of 1